Here’s what has been planted, when it was planted, when it popped up, and other comments. It will be updated as I plant new seeds, and as the plants grow and develop.
Early Perfection and Alaska varieties. I did not separate these out from one another, but rather mixed the seed peas and planted them together. I did this with a hope that they would cross pollinate, perhaps giving us stronger peas that draw from the good characteristics of both varieties. I bought these from the hardware store; they are the Ferry-Morse brand. I will try to save seeds from them, though I am not sure if these are varieties that allow for seed-saving (that is, not sure if Ferry-Morse has bred/genetically manipulated these to make the seeds viable for future plantings).
Planted on 29 January. Began to appear on 10 February.
Update, 17 February–seems like ~80% germination of what I planted. Seedlings are currently between 1/4″ and just about 1″ tall, and looking healthy.
Update, 28 February–a fair number of peas wilted and died while the rest continued to grow into strong, robust, seedlings. Not sure if it was some kind of bacterium in the soil (hoping not!), but I did notice some mole activity in the vincinity of that bed. It’s possible the mole dug through what little roots there were for those peas, killing them off. Planning on replanting in those spaces soon.
Update, 18 March–Ripped up all the peas today. They were close to blooming a week ago, and were growing ever stronger. But then a bit of the late winter blues wrecked them.
Park Seed’s Summer Glory Blend, a mix of Buttercrunch, Calmar, Cimmaron, Deer Tongue, Green Ice, Little Gem, Red Sails. These seeds were well-mixed and impossible to separate out. These are seeds from last year. They did fairly well with very little real attention paid to them last year, and lasted nearly up until the 4th of July before finally succumbing to the heat and bolting/becoming inedible. Because the seeds are old, I am not sure how they will do.
Planted on 7 February. Began to appear on 17 February.
Update, 28 February–plants looking strong. Going to need to thin soon.
Update, 18 March–they’ve been thinned and are looking good. I planted a few more seeds 14 days or so ago; they survived the late winter harshness and are starting to pop up. Meanwhile, the ones I planted last month also survived and are starting to look really strong. I expect them to really take off in the next week-ten days.
Ruby Red (aka Rhubarb) variety. This is the Botanical Interest brand that I bought at the hardware store last fall. I planted some seeds, but they did very little–I just planted too late, and the seedlings were underdeveloped by the time frost came on. Again, while these are seeds packaged for 2016, they may not be viable this year, but it was worth a shot.
Planted on 7 February.
Update, 28 February–plants finally appeared in the last few days, and while some did not germinate, those that did are looking vigorous. Going to need to thin soon.
Update, 18 March–late winter storm killed all of the chard.
Chioggia (Dolce di Chioggia) variety (heirloom variety dating back to at least 1840 in Italy). I got this from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Beets do well with succession planting, so I will be doing multiple plantings throughout the spring. I will also try to do a fall planting, and use these for producing seeds–apparently beet plants need to winter over and then flower in spring to produce seeds.
Planted two rows on 17 February; planning on doing a second planting in late March, 25/26.
Began to appear on 28 February.
Update, 18 March. Late winter storm killed all of them.